There’s plenty of focus on self-care these days as people realize the value in taking steps to manage stress and improve their overall health and well-being. For many women, pampering the skin is the ultimate definition of self-care — and facials are one of the most popular methods.
A facial is a professional skincare treatment performed by a licensed esthetician or skincare professional. It typically involves a series of cleansing, exfoliating, steaming, extracting, massaging, and moisturizing steps, tailored to address specific skin concerns and improve the overall health and appearance of the skin.
What Are the Benefits of Facials?
You’ll often see some pretty wild claims about facials. While they can’t literally stop the clock and prevent aging — “29 forever” is always going to be a state of mind — there are plenty of proven benefits of facials.
Whether you opt for the occasional splurge or facials are a regular part of your skincare routine, key benefits of facials include:
- Skin Rejuvenation. Facials involve deep cleansing of the skin, removing dirt, oil, and impurities that may be clogging the pores. This can help firm up loose skin, lighten scars, and prevent acne and breakouts.
- Exfoliation. Facial treatments often include exfoliation, which helps to remove dead skin cells, promoting a smoother and brighter complexion. Regular exfoliation can also improve the effectiveness of other skincare products.
- Hydration. Many facials include moisturizing treatments, which help to hydrate and nourish the skin, improving its texture and elasticity.
- Reduced Signs of Aging. Certain facials incorporate ingredients and techniques that target fine lines and wrinkles, encourage cell regeneration, and promote collagen development. helping to reduce the signs of aging and promoting a more youthful appearance.
- Improved Circulation. Facial massages stimulate blood circulation in the face, providing your cells with oxygen and nutrients that can lead to a healthier complexion and a radiant glow.
- Stress Relief. Research shows that facials activate the sympathetic nervous system, stimulating deep healing. Massaging pressure points on the face helps reduce stress and promote overall relaxation and well-being.
- Extraction of Blackheads and Whiteheads. A skilled esthetician can safely perform extractions to remove pore-clogging blackheads and whiteheads, preventing them from becoming more problematic.
- Even Skin Tone. Facials can help even out skin tone by targeting areas of hyperpigmentation or redness, resulting in a more balanced complexion.
- Enhanced Product Absorption. By removing dead skin cells and impurities, facials can improve the absorption of skincare products, allowing them to penetrate the skin more effectively.
- Relaxing & Rejuvenating Experience. Aside from the physical benefits, facials offer a relaxing and pampering experience, which can boost your mood and confidence.
How Often Should I Get a Facial?
How often should you visit your esthetician to reap the benefits of facials? While regular facials can help prevent skin issues from worsening and maintain the skin’s health and appearance over time, what constitutes “regular” depends on a variety of factors, including:
- Skin Type. No two faces are the same. Those with oily skin that’s prone to acne may benefit from a facial every couple of weeks, while people with normal, dry, or combination skin can probably get away with a facial once a month.
- Skin Condition. Individuals with acne, blackheads, hyperpigmentation, dry or dull skin, and other issues should undergo treatment more often to maximize the benefits of facials.
- Skincare Goals. Are you looking to address fine lines or acne scars? Prevent breakouts? Establish a skincare routine that will keep you looking young and vibrant? Why you are getting a facial will determine how often you should get a facial.
Academy of Beauty Professionals offers a variety of facial services tailored to address specific skin concerns such as acne, hyperpigmentation, or sensitivity. All facials include a skin consultation and your choice of a hand, foot, or scalp massage. To schedule an appointment or learn more about the benefits of facials, contact us today!