Here at the Academy of Beauty Professionals, our mission is to help you succeed. We will always be 100% committed to helping you grow as a beauty professional and as a person. Over the years, Founder and Best Practices Coach John Martin has come up with 10 statements which form the framework of our philosophy. He calls them “The Axioms.” Our 10 Axioms serve as a guide to success, if you will. These principles are internalized by our instructors and students alike, and we try to live by them while we are teaching, learning, and growing together at the school. They have evolved over time, but stayed true to their purpose all the while. Below, read about each unique Axiom and the purpose it serves us.
- Never compare yourselves to others, for there will always be lesser or greater persons than you. You are a one-of-a-kind human being with a unique set of skills and interests. We want to learn about what makes you YOU and help you to stand out. In terms of being a successful entrepreneur, every client will have preferences – some will prefer YOU. We intend to help you find your uniqueness, refine it, and promote it so that you can thrive as a unique beauty professional with a loyal clientele!
- Trust in the policies of the company. They are here to make your job easier and to help people succeed. We don’t doubt that you are used to doing things a certain way, but in a learning environment, it’s important to keep an open mind about things. We tend to do things a little differently than the larger, corporate-owned schools, but we employ experts with decades of invaluable experience in the beauty world, so we encourage our students to trust our methods!
- Work together to meet and exceed others’ expectations so that everyone can be a success. Our teaching style at the Academy is very interactive and hands-on. For that to work, we need everyone to work together as a team and be invested in the success of the group, not just themselves: “Alone, we can do so little. Together, we can do so much.” ~Helen Keller
- Be honest. Never underestimate the power of honest feedback. The success of a school relies on open communication between students and teachers. Without it, growth cannot ensue. So be honest with your teachers, fellow students, and most importantly, yourself.
- Don’t be a judge – stay humble. This Axiom is placed directly after “Be honest” for a reason. While we encourage sincere feedback, we hope that you do not see that as an opportunity to point out everything that your fellow students are doing wrong. Everyone is here to learn, including you.
- Plan your day. Work with the curriculum and the schedule. If you want to be successful, you will need to get organized. We do have a curriculum in place, but we also expect a certain level of independence from our students. We assume you will be able to keep up with the curriculum and get in a full day’s work. In the end, your success will depend on how much work you put into it. So stay on track!
- Think before you speak. Only give reprimands if they will give better results in the future. A vast majority of the feedback our instructors give is positive. We do this because we would much rather highlight an accomplishment than criticize a failure. This encourages more successes every day, minimizes the significance of failures, and creates a much more positive, enthusiastic overall learning environment. That being said, failure is without a doubt an important part of learning. We try not to focus too much on those failures, though. We want you to feel the thrill of a job well done as often as possible, so we’ll be sure to point it out when you’re doing it right!
- Use enthusiasm to build excitement around the school, the career, and your class. If you’re enrolled in our school, we assume you have some level of passion for at least one aspect of the beauty industry. Well guess what? We love that! We want to hear all about it! We encourage our students to express that enthusiasm in whatever way they can: take pictures, write blogs and testimonials for the website, engage with each other, feed off of each others’ energies, and most importantly, have fun!
- Be considerate. Treat others as you would like to be treated. This is the golden rule, of course, and we take it very seriously at the Academy. We frown upon meanness and negativity and we work very hard to maintain a positive energy.
- Be kind. This is the most important Axiom of all. If there is one Axiom to place priority on above all others, it is kindness. It is woven throughout everything we do here. Kindness is more than just the golden rule; it is going above and beyond to help people for no other reason than to make their day that much better, and it can go a very long way. We encourage each and every one of our instructors, students, and staff to promote kindness, for without it we sabotage our own potential.
“For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others. For beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness. And for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.” ~Audrey Hepburn